Mr. McHenry graduated cum laude from the University of Michigan in 1997 with a Bachelors degree in Business Administration. In 2004, he graduated second in his class, magna cum laude, from Lewis and Clark Law School in Portland, Oregon, where his studies concentrated heavily on criminal defense. While in law school, Mr. McHenry was a law review associate editor, and worked as a research clerk for the Federal Public Defender office in Portland, Oregon.
Mr. McHenry first joined the Law Office of Michael Levine (now Levine & McHenry LLC) as an associate attorney in 2004. In 2006, he left private practice to work as a staff attorney in the Portland office of Metropolitan Public Defenders, Inc. While there, Mr. McHenry defended hundreds of individuals charged by the State of Oregon with both misdemeanor and felony crimes.
Mr. McHenry returned to private practice with Mr. Levine in August of 2007, and they formed a partnership, Levine & McHenry LLC, in 2010. Mr. McHenry continues to focus his practice on all aspects of criminal defense.
Mr. McHenry has been a featured speaker at the Annual Conference of the Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association on multiple occasions, and is the author of a chapter in Major Crimes and Defenses, a publication of the Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association. He is a member of the Oregon State Bar and is admitted to practice in the Federal District Court for the District of Oregon as well as the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. He is also a member of the Criminal Justice Act Panel, a group of attorneys in private practice that have been selected by the Oregon Federal District Court as qualified to handle federal indigent criminal defense cases. He has been named as an Oregon Super Lawyers Rising Star for the every year since 2022.
- U.S. District Court District of Oregon
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- Lewis and Clark Law School, Portland, Oregon
- Honors: magna cum laude
- University of Michigan
- B.B.A. - 1997
- Honors: cum laude
- 'Unlawful Use of a Weapon', Major Crimes and Defenses, Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Demurrers and Motions, Defending Sex Cases Manual
- Featured Speaker, on multiple occasions at the OCDLA Annual Conference
Honors and Awards
- Oregon Super Lawyers Rising Star
- Avvo Client's Choice Award
- Avvo 10.0 Superb Rating (Criminal Defense)
- Recipient of 2018 Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association President’s Award
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Criminal Justice Act Panel, Member
- Oregon Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (OCDLA), Member
- OCDLA Education Committee, Member